About Me

My photo
I am not the person I was five years ago. I hope I will not be this person five years from now. For that I am continually thankful!

Saturday, December 20, 2014

My Hands

Rougher than I'd like to admit - 
mishandling the important things with
my clumsy dexterity.

They often ache with want,
reaching for what they can't have,
trying to wring the nervous out when they
come up empty.

I blame them for my habit of hurting myself on others.

My hands -
greedy for validation that
they belong to someone worthy enough 
or lucky enough
or smart enough
to make sound decisions.

And when they look up and see they belong to me,
they're so ashamed that they cover my face,
like I don't know their motive.

All I can do is apologize (over and over)
for fucking up (over and over)
for bad judgement (over and over)
and promise them I won't do it anymore...

Then pray I won't.

And they forgive me time and again,
letting me off the hook
for illogical romanticism
or uneven reciprocity 
and my tendency toward victim hood
when I get what I knew I would
from #loveagainsorta - 
not enough.

They forgive me,
but vow not to wipe my tears if I break my own heart again.

Lucky for me...
all three of us are promise-breakers.


No comments:

Post a Comment