About Me

My photo
I am not the person I was five years ago. I hope I will not be this person five years from now. For that I am continually thankful!

Friday, July 8, 2011

N.Y. to D.C. Direct

She called me because she was frustrated about him. Well, actually it was about not having him there, but she didn't admit to feeling any kind of way really. Just annoyed. The type of "annoyed" that prompts you to pick up the phone and call your close friend in D.C. all the way from N.Y. to say, "I'm annoyed." And the more she talked about nothing in particular, the more I understood the root of her feelings, so I waited to hear his name. 

Didn't have to wait too long before she said his name and expressed frustration over him not being able to clearly express wanting to do things apart. And on top of all that...he didn't call back when he said he would. I understood this feeling. It wasn't annoyance or frustration. It was love.

The part of love I cannot forget is wanting the subject around, just because you love him. When you love someone just because they are who they are, you want them to be able to enjoy life without you...but there are times you just want an inkling that they feel the way you feel and enjoy life best with you. And when they aren't around and don't bother to call you (or call you back) to show you they feel the same, it's "frustrating" and "annoying." You know that you truly love someone when they can throw off the entire balance of your day by not being a part of it. I remember that. I remember love. It was so long ago for me, but that feeling of heart flutters and warm bellies at the thought of just seeing him will never be far enough from the present to help me rest well. But I was happy that if someone didn't love me that way, I could at least receive assurance that feelings like that existed. That I wasn't crazy for loving my subject that way all those years ago. And just because that love was never returned, it didn't mean it wasnt good love.

And understanding how she felt, I kept her from jumping over the cliff I fell from when he fell out of love with me, and assured her that she was overreacting. And that he loved her the same. And that he wasn't stepping on her feelings on purpose. And soon he called to confirm how right I was...

What they share is rare in the days of settling, loving the one you're with, and making it work. It's no-bullshit...raw...appreciation for one another and respect for the possibilities therein. It's love...in the age of everything but...

No comments:

Post a Comment