About Me

My photo
I am not the person I was five years ago. I hope I will not be this person five years from now. For that I am continually thankful!

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Very "Interesting" People



So...I end up at a lounge on Saturday night and in VIP, of all places, because of a well-connected friend! I realize that the view from this much-sought-after place is exquisite because of all the insight you get here ("here" in this club meaning on a balcony where the dj sits...above the crowd). Here are some of my conclusions (as I sit here typing this blog and everyone else tries to look at me without staring, wondering why I am neither drinking nor half-naked):
  • People come to these places to, simultaneously, be seen and to hide. They do so much (including pay $700 for what the club owner calls "a table" and wear clothes that, in the light of day, would toss most into either the "ho" or "bamma" categories), yet no one really sees anyone in the club. There is minimal lighting and maximum alcohol, both of which impair vision and judgement. Flashy outfits; blaring insecurities. Perfect coordination!

  • VIP is so exclusive because everyone cannot handle being "very important." Some very interesting characters have just joined the birds-eye view. They are behaving like idiots. All have drinks and are excited by stupid radio music. But thats just me being judgemental. In club culture, these are the elite. They are in the place everyone wants to be...talking about nothing...loudly. And I'm sitting on a white leather couch blogging about them and bobbing my head to the soundtrack of this rainbow coalition of niggadry.

  • (And this is a serious revelation). I'm in the wrong damn profession. From the VIP balcony I can see just how small this place is. I don't know much about construction, but this can't be more than 2,000 (maybe 2,500) square feet from front to back...and all these folks paid to get in...and the alcohol is flowing....at an additional insane cost per glass...and the dj probably bought his own equipment...so...why am I not a club owner? I believe that shall be my next venture (after I purchase a parking lot). Capitalism is great; even in times of recession, one can count on people dressing up in their finery and paying good money to buy drinks and dance in the dark with strangers they would probably have nothing to do with in the daylight.

Are there any important people here? Nope. Not even me, sitting here, blogging about it all and receiving all these stupid looks because I have on jeans and Coach chucks. WE'VE ALL PUT OURSELVES HERE...and we'll all leave, wanting to do it again...for different reasons.

They're playing Kanye...gotta go...

No comments:

Post a Comment